Club Meetings and Activities
Meetings are open to the public. They are held the second Monday of each month at 7:00 p.m. at the First Presbyterian Church, second floor meeting room) 20 N. Dixie Ave. Cookeville, TN. (At the corner of N. Dixie and Broad. St). There are a few exceptions to the meeting schedule, so be sure to check the Club Calendar.
- We have a variety of speakers throughout the year offering educational and entertaining programs to help us improve our photography, and many will bring incredible slide shows. This is a great chance to hear from “outside” professionals.
- Six times a year, we have a photo “contest”. Members typically submit one or two images for judging by a panel of experienced members or possibly outside professionals. The highlight of the contests is receiving specific feedback from the judges about your images. Considering others’ ideas is a key way learn how to improve your photography.
- From time-to-time, we will have “mini” programs during a meeting where a member will explore new and interesting aspects of photography.
- One meeting during the summer is a fun “photo night on the town” where we practice night photography. Experienced members are readily available to help those who are new to night photography.
- Twice a year, we have a “photo essay” where members can present images they want to share. The presentation can be a maximum of five minutes, and can vary from a simple display of images with or without commentary to an automated slideshow with music created in PowerPoint, iMovie, or a variety of other software packages.
- Each year the club hosts our annual potluck picnic, open to
members’ friends and family. Everyone brings a dish, and the club provides the meat, soft drinks, and place settings. Don’t forget to bring your camera for both scenic and people pictures.
- In December, we have our annual Awards Dinner and Christmas Party. As with the picnic, it’s a potluck affair for members and their friends and family. We use this gathering to award some prizes for the most highly rated images of the year. It’s a fun-filled evening and the food is always great! Don’t miss it.
- The club sponsors an Introduction to DSLR Photography Class,
usually in February and March. Registration is required and there is a nominal fee. Topics include camera settings, focusing options, exposure, composition, lens options, worthwhile accessories, and an introduction to image post-processing. There are a lot of opportunities for practice so that participants retain skills taught in the class.
- We publish “The Camera Corner” in the local newspapers every month. Any club member may write an article to contribute to this public service activity. There are thousands of topic that make good small articles. Think about some of the questions your friends or family ask about taking pictures, and the questions become good subjects for an article.
- The club sponsors photo field trips / workshops for members to
learn new skills or practice old skills, and also to enjoy getting to know fellow members. Some may be led by outside professional photographers that may require a fee.
- In April, the club hosts a gallery exhibition at the Cumberland Art Society. This
event gives us an opportunity to display our work to the community, and a chance to sell prints for personal profit. Over one hundred matted and mounted prints (8×10 and larger) can fit in the large gallery, so it is an impressive show.
- The club manages the photo competition at the Putnam County Fair booth in early August. Member volunteers collect and hang pictures for display and judging, then de-install and return the pictures after the competition. Members may submit images, too, but only in the “professional” category. This is another public service activity for a very popular fair event.
- The Fall Funfest is an annual event we use to promote the Camera Club to the community as well as raise funds. Members donate both small prints mounted on cards and larger, matted prints to sell. The Friday night and all-day Saturday fair requires several volunteers to help with our booth.
Our membership includes people of all ages, in all stages of the craft, from beginners to masters. The club has two main objectives …a place to learn… and a place to share your love of photography with like-minded friends. Membership to the club is $25 dollars a year per individual ($15 for a student) and $45 for families. The proceeds are used to promote club awareness, pay for club functions and speakers, and pay for other club needs. You can join the club at any scheduled meeting.
Our website at www.cookevillecameraclub.com is available to provide information about what we do and display our members’ photography. Members have access to a “Members-Only” area where additional information can be found as well as where key member capabilities are located:
- Member profiles and photographic capabilities and interests
- Photo contest information and rules
- Functionality to upload images for contests, choose “favorite” images, and view contest results, including image feedback
- Sign up for club events
- Renew memberships with pay dues through Paypal
- and more . . .
If you are not yet a member and you have an interest in taking pictures, we hope you will consider joining our club. It’s a place to learn and a place to share!